36 Tips for Strengthening Your Influence In the Workplace
People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.
If I asked you to write down the names of five people who has had the greatest impact on your life, your list would represent individuals who has demonstrated sincere concern for you in your personal, academic and professional life. We all have a tendency to remember folks who we felt cared about us. Another tendency of ours is, we may not always remember the names of people who have come and gone in our life, but we always remember how they made us feel in their presence.
Every person that we come in contact with leaves an impression on us. Our impression, especially if they are someone we are in contact with on a regular basis, determines the level of influence we allow that individual to have in our life. Titles in a workplace gives a person authority and a degree of influence. Becoming a person of influence in your workplace does not require a title. It requires that you develop your character and personal leadership skills.
The following actions will help expand your influence within your workplace with or without a title.
1. Complete your work duties with a standard of excellence.
2. Develop your confidence and communication skills to have conversations with individuals in any area of your organization.
3. Show respect to everyone, at all levels within your organization.
4. Practice active listening skills.
5. Be reliable and dependable.
6. Develop your skills to manage conflict with internal and external customers of your organization.
7. Adapt to change better.
8. Maintain your focus on how your work connects to the success of your organization achieving its strategic priorities.
9. Be self-motivated. Stay connected to a compelling WHY that inspires you from the inside out to complete your position responsibilities without direct supervision.
10. Exhibit a commitment to completing assigned tasks in a timely manner.
11. Show sincere concern for others.
12. Nurture a results-oriented mindset.
13. Do what matters most to be successful in your work environment.
14. Commit to displaying personal excellence on a consistent basis.
15. Take responsibility for your career.
16. Pursue positions and tasks that expose you to key decision makers in the organization.
17. Be a problem-solver. Be interested in the challenges faced by other teams in the organization. Share your knowledge, skills and experience to help others reach solutions to their challenges.
18. Cultivate a diverse network of supportive and strategic work relationships.
19. Make sure your work makes your boss look good.
20. Make it your business to develop and expand your emotional and social intelligence skills.